A great entry level multi-sport, adventure event
What is the Get2Go Challenge?
Now in its 12th year, the Get2Go Challenge comprises a series of fun and exciting regional events, culminating in a Grand Final for qualifying participants. It is like the Amazing Race, Treasure Island and Survivor, mixed together with adventure sports including rock climbing, orienteering, kayaking, mountain biking and a little bit of problem solving.
Get2Go is organised by Hillary Outdoors and supported by sports clubs and organisations right across New Zealand and has been designed to encourage a wider participation in outdoor pursuit activities. There are 12 events in the series held in regions around the country spanning as far north as Whangarei and right down to Dunedin. These take the form of one day challenges that are held in Term 3 each year.
In the regional one day events, teams need to undertake four 60 minute long challenges and attempt each in the allotted time. To maximise their score in each task teams will be required to work together, using important team skills such as communication, problem solving, planning and decision making. There is a limited capacity of 24 teams at each regional challenge, with teams taken on a first in first served basis.
The 5-day long national Get2Go Challenge Final is held on Great Barrier Island in December each year for teams qualifying from the regional event series .
Who is the Get2Go for?
The Get2Go Challenge is open to ALL year 9 and 10 students. You DON’T need any special outdoors experience, but you DO need to be ready to give exciting new stuff a go! You can be as social or as competitive as you like.
Teams of 8 represent their school(s) in one of four categories; All Girls, All Boys, Mixed and Mixed Premier (4 girls/4boys). A maximum of two schools may join together to form a team (this applies to ANY school and includes single gender and co-ed schools joining together) and NO prior experience is necessary, so the Get2Go is suitable for all levels of students regardless of their ability. They will need a ‘give it a go’ attitude and be prepared to have a great time playing in the outdoors for a day, regardless of the weather. Unlike lots of other school sport the Get2Go events are never cancelled. We may need to modify, or possibly even cancel individual challenges if the weather presents a safety risk. We think that playing in the wind and rain can be just as much fun as a on a warm sunny day as long as you are dressed appropriately, so that’s why we have a compulsory gear list of the things you need to bring.
The national Get2Go Grand Final is held at the Hillary Outdoors marine base on Great Barrier Island. It is an intense week made up of problem solving activities, a 2-day land and sea expedition, finishing with a full on adventure race. The top team in the Mixed Premier category from each event is invited to represent their region in the final against the very best adventure teams from around the country.
How much will it cost?
Entry fees for the series events are only $130 per team of 8 students if you take advantage of the early-bird entry fee and enter before 8 July. After this date the normal entry fee of $150 per team will apply. Schools may enter two teams initially and may possibly have more if the 24 team places are not filled.
How do I register a team?
Registering a team(s) for the Get2Go Challenge is super easy!
Just get your team manager (a teacher or parent) to fill in the online registration form (click on button at top right of this page) with all of the important details for your team. We will then email you back confirming your registration has been accepted. If 24 teams have already registered before you then your team will go onto a wait-list as occasionally we have some teams that can’t make it at the last minute.
- All entries into the Get2Go must be made through your school and the selection of students/teams is the schools responsibility.
- Entries are limited to 24 teams on each day and will be taken on a first in, first served basis. Schools may enter up to two teams initially and more teams if there is room. Please contact Darren to request more than two teams.
- Completion of the online form does not guarantee a place in the event. We will contact you if the event is already full when you register to advise you that we are putting you on the wait-list.
- The regional events will generally run between 8.30am and 3.00pm. More details will be sent to your team contact one week before the event.
- Teams will need to arrange their own transport to all of the challenges on the day. At least one adult or teacher will be required to manage each team.
- To be ‘official’ teams must be made up of 8 members from either year 9 or year 10 and enter one of four categories – Mixed Premier (4 girls/4 boys), Mixed, Girls, Boys.
- Only teams entered in the Mixed Premier category will be eligible for a place in the Grand Final. Remember you can join together with one other school to form a team if you don’t have the numbers to make a team from your school.
The 2017 Get2Go Series dates:
- 1 August – Waitakere/North Harbour
- 3 August – Bay of Plenty
- 8 August – Northland
- 10 August – Auckland/Counties Manukau
- 15 August – Waikato
- 17 August – Hawkes Bay
- 22 August – Wellington/Wairarapa/Manawatu
- 24 August – Taranaki/Wanganui
- 11 September – Nelson/Tasman/Marlborough
- 13 September – Central Otago/Southland (Queenstown)
- 15 September – Otago/Southland (Dunedin)
- 18 September – Canterbury/Northern Aoraki
Grand Final – Great Barrier Island
3-8 December 2017
Information for registered teams