An exhilarating outdoor adventure event series for all ages
What is NavQuest?
NavQuest is a totally cool series of outdoor adventure events for you and your friends. Whether you are at school, or just a keen outdoor enthusiast looking for a cool team adventure anyone is welcome to participate. Simply take a look at the information below and complete the online registration form by clicking the adjacent button.
The events are 3 hours in duration and are a mix between orienteering and rogaining, organised by Hillary Outdoors with the expert assistance from the local orienteering club. You need at least one other friend to join you as you need to be in a team of 2-4 people to take part. Your teams goal is to navigate to as many checkpoints as you can and make it back to the finish line before the clock ticks down to zero.
There is no set order to visit the checkpoints in so as long as you have someone in your team who can at least sort of navigate, then you will be fine. The navigation isn’t super hard, so as long as you have a general understanding of how to read a map you will be fine. You also need someone who can tell the time as you can’t afford to be late back to the finish, because as soon as the 180min time limit is up you start getting penalised points.
We will give you a specially prepared map with all of the checkpoints marked on it and you will score points for the ones you find inside the time limit. The team with the biggest score at the end wins. There will be loads of spot prizes and giveaways, so get your team together now and start planning. If you don’t live near where the actual event is, then plan a weekend away so you can have some other cool adventures the day before.
Who is it for?
The NavQuest is for anyone. We have had babies in backpacks and retirees in their 70’s take part in previous NavQuest events. Anyone not at school can take part in an Open team. If you are in year 7 to 13 you can enter in one of the school category’s and these events are fantastic training for our Get2Go Challenge (year 9 and 10) and Hillary Outdoors 6hr Adventure Race (year 11-13). And yes, you can do as many NavQuest events as you like!
On the day
For all events registration will open at 8.30am on each day and there will be a briefing at the event HQ at 9.30am. Maps will then be issued and you will have about 20 minutes to plan where you are going to go. You will then have 3 hours (from 10.00am to 1.00pm) to find as many checkpoints as possible.
Oh, did we mention the prizes? A prize-giving will happen shortly after the finish and we give away loads of very cool spot prizes courtesy of our fantastic event sponsors (see our sponsor page).
All you need to take part is
- A sense of adventure
- a friend or 3 with a sense of adventure
- At least one of you who can understand how to navigate using a map. GPS’s aren’t allowed!
- At least one of you who can keep track of the time. There is a time limit you have to stick to and you don’t want to be late!
- You will all need a bit of fitness as you will be on the go for up to 3 hours
- All of the recommended gear is listed on the link below. As minimum it will be compulsory to carry a cellphone and first aid kit (per team), plus food/water and clothing suitable for the conditions/environment on the day (per individual) and any medication – inhalers, beesting pills…etc that you might need.
Team Categories for NavQuest events
Schools: All teams need to be made up of 2-4 members.
- Intermediate Schools – you must all be in year 7 or 8 (and you can be accompanied by an adult to shadow you)
- Secondary Schools – you must all be in year 9-13. Any age/gender mix is ok.
Open: Teams need to have 2-4 members. This category is for anyone, of any age, not entering in the school team category.
How much does it cost?
For the entire 3hr adventure and the chance to win some cool spot prizes it will only cost you $15 per person if you are a school student and $30 per person if you are too old to be at school and enter the open category.
2015 Event Series Dates
The locations of the event centres will be within 60 minutes drive of the centres indicated below. Detailed information will be posted here shortly. Event results will be posted on our Facebook page the day after each event.
- NavQuest event 1 in Taupo on 15 March – more information can be found here This page will be updated again closer to the event.
- NavQuest event 2 near Rotorua 7 June – more information can be found here This page will be updated again closer to the event.
- NavQuest event 3 near East Auckland 21 June – more information can be found here This page will be updated again closer to the event.
- NavQuest event 4 near Waikanae 5 July – more information can be found here This page will be updated again closer to the event.