MACPAC Hillary Challenge National Final
By far the toughest adventure race in New Zealand for Year 11 – 13 school students! Held at our Tongariro Centre each year, 12 teams take on 5 days of gruelling multi-sport activities…but only 1 team can win – welcome to the Macpac Hillary Challenge Final!
Catch all the action from the 2020 Final here!
Not only does this event require a high level of physical and mental fitness, being a team sport, members need the ability to work together under stress.
Teams of 8 students are scored on their skill, speed and endurance during a 5-day series of outdoor adventure challenges, including a 2-day rogaine style wilderness expedition and a multi sport race on the final day. In true adventure racing tradition, the exact details of all challenges are kept secret until the event.
To qualify for the final teams must earn one of the qualifying spots in the North and South Island Macpac Hillary Challenge 6-hour adventure race events at the beginning of Term 2.
The 21st anniversary challenge Final to find the top Secondary School Outdoor Adventure Team in New Zealand will take place during the week of 11 October – 15 October 2021.
Congratulations to the Schools that have qualified so far for the 2021 final:
- Motueka High (Motueka) 1st place in the 2020 Final
- New Plymouth Girls and Boys High (Taranaki) 2nd place in the 2020 Final
- Golden Bay High School (Golden Bay) 3rd place in the 2020 Final
- Cashmere High (Christchurch) 1st place in the 2020 South Island event
- St Andrews College (Christchurch) 2nd place in the 2020 South Island event