Our 'Long Programme' is up to 5 weeks of immersive outdoor education experiences developed specifically for your school - it is bigger, bolder, and life-changing!
Give your school the edge! Join other progressive schools in offering longer outdoor education programmes and give your students a rich and impactful opportunity to develop confidence, focus, and mana.
Currently offered at our Aotea Great Barrier Island Centre, students receive a very special and stirring welcome onto the Island, setting a meaningful tone for the entire programme experience. Here students have space to exhale, test their own waters, surprise themselves, develop interests and focus – while learning in depth about the local natural and cultural environment.
Each Hillary Outdoors programme is designed in consultation with schools and rangatahi and we can tailor programmes to fit specific school values and mission, as well as desired learning objectives and outcomes. Find out more about Focus Areas that we can tailor to your school’s programme in our Programme Overview.
For greatest impact we recommend booking for the full 5 week programme but we can accommodate shorter programmes to suit your school.
Book early! Register your interest today or contact us for more information.
Why choose Hillary Outdoors?
- We have been teaching outdoor skills and personal development since 1972, and we have an exceptional instructor team who are highly qualified, caring and committed
- Hillary Outdoors is a New Zealand leader in outdoor risk management; safety is paramount and all risks clients are exposed to while at Hillary Outdoors are consistently and carefully analysed and managed
- Two centres to choose from offering the best choice of marine and/ or land based learning environments
- Tailor-made programmes defined in consultation with the Hillary Outdoors Team that can include specific adventures providing context to focus areas, key competencies, learning outcomes, and more…
- As a registered educational establishment, Hillary Outdoors can also help deliver Unit Standards and Achievement Standards to Year 11 – 13 students during their time with us
- This can be a life-changing programme - over 5 weeks students take a true break from their devices and learn to connect with their peers, teachers, and place. Their learnings are sustained when they return home and they carry a new perspective that helps them at school, home, on the sports field, and in the community.
Hillary Step Scholarships
Based on one of Hillary Outdoors’s founding principles of accessibility, since 1972, Hillary Outdoors has worked on the philosophy that all youth, regardless of their finances or ability, should have an equal opportunity to enhance their lives through outdoor education. The Hillary Step Scholarship programme helps make that happen for students and subsequently communities by awarding Scholarships to schools to help cover the cost of a Hillary Outdoors programme who otherwise might not be able to attend.
The Hillary Step Scholarship programme is funded by grants, partnerships, and donations from a wide variety of funders including community trusts, businesses, and individuals. The funds we receive for a HSS are passed directly on to schools who demonstrate the need. Currently, many funders are particularly interested in supporting rangatahi Māori, Pacific young people, Rainbow young people, young people with disabilities, young women, young people living in the regions, and young people from ethnic communities, in particular those from a refugee and migrant background.
For more information or to apply online click here