Hillary Outdoors is an accredited outdoor provider for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award offered at both Tongariro and Aotea - Great Barrier Island centres during the school holidays.
Hillary Outdoors is a great choice for undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh’s Hillary Award. Both the Great Barrier Island and Tongariro locations offer the perfect environment for a very authentic experience of personal discovery and growth; as well as developing skills in self-reliance, perseverance, personal responsibility and service to community.
For more information about the Duke of Edinburgh’s New Zealand organisation and details about each award please visit their website.
Hillary Outdoors provides both Expedition and Exploration Adventurous Journeys for youth between the age of 14 to 24 years, to the following levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Gold Residential Project.
Residential Project (Gold Award)
The Residential Project requires participants to undertake a shared project away from home, over a period of at least 5 days in the company of others who are not their usual companions. A Hillary Outdoors Holiday Action Challenge or Leadership Week would be the ideal way to achieve this whilst having loads of fun. There can only be one other person you know attending the course. Participants wishing to complete their Residential Project with us must let us know at the time of booking and bring their record book with them to give to their Instructor, we are unable to sign record books after participants have left Hillary Outdoors.
The Practice and Qualifying components of the Adventurous Journey are made up of 6 – 9 day intensives. These intensives enable participants to complete both their practice journey and qualifying journey within one visit to our Centre.
As part of this intensive participants will:
- Be supported to plan their qualifying journey
- Receive the additional training necessary to accomplish their qualifying journey via their practice journey and skill development sessions
- Be assessed (shadowed) through their qualifying journey.
- Silver and Bronze Awards: It’s very important you complete training BEFORE arriving at Hillary Outdoors. Your school or youth group may offer this training or you can do it online at http://www.bronzetraining.com/
- Part of the Silver and Bronze Adventurous Journey component of the Award requires students to plan, shop and prepare for some of their meals on journeys away from the Centre. Information about this will be sent upon registration, however please be aware that some food will need to be purchased by the student PRIOR to arrival at Hillary Outdoors.
Tongariro National Park, New Zealand