Thanks to the generous support of Ports of Auckland Round The Bays we are offering two lucky teams from decile 1-5 Auckland schools the opportunity to attend a 2-day training camp and entry to the Hillary Challenge North Island Regionals!
As the first ever recipients of the Round the Bays Youth Sports Fund, Hillary Outdoors is offering two scholarships worth $5,000 each to support school teams train for, and compete at the Hillary Challenge Regionals!
To be eligible schools must be from the Auckland region and between decile 1 – 5.
The scholarships are valued at $5,000 each and include the following:
- 1x free team event entry into the North Island Hillary Challenge 6hr event, being held on 29 May 2022, near Rotorua. The team for this must be made up of 8 students in year 11-13 including 4 female and 4 male members. Note – travel/accommodation to this event is not included.
- A two-day Adventure Race skills training camp at our Tongariro Centre for 10 students, in February 2022. The dates are TBC, but will be in the week 8-13th February.
- This training camp is designed for your 8 team members, plus 2 reserves, and one adult team manager / coach, totaling a team of 11 to provide training in the basic skills required to participate in the Hillary Challenge Regional 6hr event.
- The skills covered will include – navigation, mountain biking, flat water paddling skills, rope skills, essential teamwork skills.
- Students will need to provide their own clothing, mountain bikes and helmets, but we will provide the rest of the equipment needed.
- Food and accommodation for 2 days/night are included, but you will need to transport students to/from the centre.
If successful in gaining one of these two scholarships we would also like to invite you to document via social media your team’s journey, through the training camp, participation in the Round the Bays event and ultimately the Hillary Challenge 6-hr Regionals event. It would be great to share stories and experiences with others in the hope of inspiring more young people to take on these challenges in the future.
If you are interested in applying for a Hillary Challenge Scholarship please fill in the application form and submit it to us by Friday 3 December 2021. We will assess the applications and choose the two lucky recipients the following week so we can let you know before the end of term and then start making plans for the training camp in February.