This is the ultimate, awesome adventure racing event for teams that like a challenge!
Open to all Year 11 – 13 school students regardless of experience. The Macpac Hillary Challenge 6-hour regional events are a great introduction to adventure racing and a perfect step up from our Torpedo7 Get2Go Series.
There are typically 2 regional challenges held each year – one in the North Island and the other in the South Island.
NO prior experience is necessary as these events are designed to attract students of all levels so you don’t need a high level of skill and experience to join in and have an awesome time.
REGISTER your team today!
Here's what you need to know
- Teams of 8 represent their school(s) in one of four categories; All Girls, All Boys, Mixed, and Mixed Premier (4 girls/4 boys). Teams can be a mix of year 11, 12 and 13 students. ONLY teams entered in the Mixed Premier category will be eligible for a place in the National Final.
- A maximum of two schools may join together to form a team (this applies to ANY school and can include single gender and co-ed schools joining together). However a single school can only be a part of one team in the National Final.
- Each team will need to bring 8 mountain bikes that are in good working order, particularly the brakes, plus helmets and a basic bike repair kit. Make sure you know how to use the repair kit!
- Each regional event typically includes running/trekking, mountain biking (not too technical!) and orienteering/rogaining as the base of the event. To add to the mix there may be other fun challenges and problem solving tasks - these could be on land and/or water, depending on the location.
- Some tasks will involve the whole team while others might only require a few team members.
- ALL 8 team members will be required to stay together (within 50m) at all times, unless a race marshal says otherwise and you will be trying to score points by finding checkpoints and completing the additional challenges. There may also be some sections that are timed, with these times being converted to points to add to your overall total. The team with the highest overall score wins.
- On the day, race registration is held at 8.30am followed by the race briefing. The race itself takes place between 9.00am and 3.00pm. The day ends with some snacks (included in your entry fee) and prizegiving (including spot prizes!).
- In true adventure racing style, the course route is not disclosed until the day of the race, and you only find out the location of the event briefing one week before race day!
- There is a limited capacity of 30 teams at each regional Hillary Challenge event, with teams taken on a first in, first served basis. Don’t miss out – register early!
Gain school credits!
Level 1 – 1.1 (90962), 1.5 (90966), 1.7 (90968), 1.9 (90970)
Level 2 – 2.6 (91332), 2.7 (91333)
Level 3 – 3.3 (91500)
Keen to qualify for the National Final?
If your school is keen to grab one of the limited places in the Final you must first gain a top placing in one of the 2 qualifying regional events (North Island or South Island). From each of these two events the top scoring teams in the Mixed Premier category (the number of spots depends on the event) will receive an invitation to take part in the final and go up against the very best secondary school adventure racing teams from around New Zealand.