These two training courses are for recreational and professional paddlers to better enable them to safely paddle with their peers, when leading a group, or when providing an instructional or guided experience.
They are prerequisites for NZOIA Kayak Instructor qualifications and will closely follow the NZOIA and WhiteWater NZ syllabi.
Using fully qualified instructors, and being centred amongst great white water venues, the skills you will cover include:
- Self, boat and bank based rescues
- Selection and correct use of gear and safety equipment commonly used for river running in NZ
- Knowledge of common river hazards
- Controlled river running
- Rescue management
Note, you must be a competent class 2 paddler.
You should ideally have completed the level 1 course and be a competent class 3 kayaker. Assumptions will be made that you already have some rescue experience.
- This is very similar to the level 1 in content but in a more technical environment
- It also includes more rope skills to work in horizontal and vertical planes
- Rescue and recovery management
The price includes:
- Use of specialist rescue gear
- Kayak gear if pre-arranged
- Transport during the course
- Note: this is a non residential course so you will need to provide your own accommodation and food
Location: Hillary Outdoors Tongariro, Tongariro River
Dates – Level 1: 4-5 November 2017
Dates – Level 2: To be confirmed
Cost: $395.00 per person (including GST).