The perfect ‘taster’ activity for any of our other outdoor adventure challenges – come and give it a go!
Our Rogaine Challenges are navigation based team challenges for any students in years 9-13. Each challenge is 2-hours in duration and a mix between orienteering and rogaining. Working in teams of 3 or 4 you will have 120mins to navigate to 30 checkpoints, scoring points for each one you find, then try to get back to the finish on time. If you are late back, you lose points, so planning a good strategy and working together in your team is important!
Currently these challenges are held at venues throughout the North Island. You are more than welcome to come along to multiple rogaines if you are keen.
These challenges will be suitable for all levels of experience and getting involved and participating is what it is all about. You certainly don’t need to be an elite athlete, or even an athlete at all to join in the fun. Perfect for students in Outdoor Education and P.E classes, but also any students keen on a team activity that involves a little fitness, strategic planning, quick decision making and time management skills.
- Teams are made up of 3 or 4 members from Year 9 – 13. Any mix of year 9 -13 is ok and you may register as many teams as you wish in the following categories: All Girls, All Boys, Mixed.
- Teams will use a specially prepared map and will have 2 hours to navigate to as many checkpoints as possible and make it back to the finish line before the clock ticks down to zero – teams that are late to the finish line get time penalties and lose precious points! The checkpoints on the course will all be optional and worth a different score based on their location and difficulty to find.
- At least one team member needs to know how to read a map, another one needs to be able to keep track of time, and everyone will need a bit of fitness as you will be ‘on the go’ for up to 2 hours!
- Check out the recommended gear list but as a minimum it will be compulsory to carry a cellphone and first aid kit (per team), plus food/water and clothing suitable for the conditions/environment on the day you do the challenge and any medication – inhalers, bee-sting pills…etc. that you might need.
These Rogaine Challenges are 2hrs long. Even though this seems relatively short we still recommend you have the following clothing and equipment to enable you to complete the challenge safely. We want to be sure that you have everything you need to keep you and your team mates comfortable and safe regardless of the conditions.
Each team member should carry or wear –
- A wind and waterproof jacket
- A long sleeve polypro or wollen base layer
- A warm hat/beanie. BUFFs are ok for this.
- At least 1.5litres of water
- Energy snacks/food to keep you going for 2hrs
- Personal medication
- A pack to carry everything in
- A pair of running/trail shoes
Each group/team should carry the following for the duration of the event –
- A compass
- A team first aid kit including as a minimum – 50cm strapping tape for ankles/knees, pain killers, 2 x large crepe bandages (minimum 4cm width), 1 x tri-angular bandage, 2 x non-adherent dressing or gauze pad, 6 plasters.
- A cell-phone (fully charged) to be used in the event of an emergency, if you need assistance.
Each year we have many schools that use these events (as well as our Hillary Challenge 6-hour Adventure Races) to work various Achievement Standard into their programmes to enable their students to gain credits . These normally include:
Level 1 – 1.1 (90962), 1.5 (90966), 1.7 (90968), 1.9 (90970)
Level 2 – 2.6 (91332), 2.7 (91333)
Level 3 – 3.3 (91500)