Our ‘Long Programme’ is up to 5 weeks of immersive outdoor education experiences developed specifically for your school – it is bigger, bolder, and life-changing!
Give your school the edge! Join other progressive schools in offering longer outdoor education programmes and give your students a rich and impactful opportunity to develop confidence, focus, and mana.
Offered at either of our Centres – Aotea Great Barrier Island Centre or Tongariro Centre students have space to exhale, test their own waters, surprise themselves, develop interests and focus – while learning in depth about the local natural and cultural environment.
Each Hillary Outdoors programme is designed in consultation with schools and rangatahi and we can tailor programmes to fit specific school values and mission, as well as desired learning objectives and outcomes. Find out more about Focus Areas that we can tailor to your school’s programme in our Programme Overview.
For greatest impact we recommend booking for the full 5 week programme but we can accommodate shorter programmes to suit your school.
- We have been teaching outdoor skills and personal development since 1972, and we have an exceptional instructor team who are highly qualified, caring and committed
- Hillary Outdoors is a New Zealand leader in outdoor risk management; safety is paramount and all risks clients are exposed to while at Hillary Outdoors are consistently and carefully analysed and managed
- Two centres to choose from offering the best choice of marine and/ or land based learning environments
- Tailor-made programmes defined in consultation with the Hillary Outdoors Team that can include specific adventures providing context to focus areas, key competencies, learning outcomes, and more…
- As a registered educational establishment, Hillary Outdoors can also help deliver Unit Standards and Achievement Standards to Year 11 – 13 students during their time with us
- This is a proven and impactful programme – in just 5 days students grow, develop, and learn new things about themselves, with numerous schools telling us of the positive change in their students on return to the classroom.
Since 1972, Hillary Outdoors has worked on the philosophy that all youth, regardless of their finances or ability, should have equal opportunity to enhance their lives through outdoor education.
The Hillary Step Scholarship (HSS) programme helps make that happen for rangatahi and subsequently whānau and hapori by awarding Scholarships to help cover the cost of Hillary Outdoors programmes.
Thanks to our incredible community of Funders, we have overcome financial inequities and empowered thousands of rangatahi from across Aotearoa to have life changing experiences through outdoor and adventure education.
For more information about the Hillary Step Scholarship programme and other funding opportunities, check out our Funding Information Pack for schools, groups, organisations and individuals.
Note: You must have a confirmed booking with Hillary Outdoors to be eligible for a HSS.