The ‘original’ Hillary Outdoors Programme supports school students from Year 9 to Year 13 to learn through adventure and connect through participation.
Our most popular programme packs a lot of punch in just 5 days! Delivered at either of our Centres – Aotea Great Barrier Island or Tongariro – offering the best choice of marine or land-based learning environments. Groups typically arrive Sunday and depart Friday with sore muscles, smiles, and a new sense of self. For many schools this is a highlight on the school calendar and an integral part of student development.
Throughout this Programme students continuously learn through adventure and connect through participation, helping them to recognise their strengths and abilities, and develop their confidence.
Each Hillary Outdoors programme is designed in consultation with schools and rangatahi and we can tailor programmes to fit specific school values and mission, as well as desired learning objectives and outcomes. We use experiential education, outdoor adventure, community immersion, and communal living to engage with students and develop learning experiences that include teamwork, problem-solving, and activities that are physically and mentally challenging.
Find out more about Focus Areas that we can tailor to your school’s programme in our Programme Overview.
For greatest impact we recommend booking for the full 5 day programme but we can accommodate shorter stays of 3 or 4 days to suit your school.
Don’t miss out! Register your interest today or contact us for more information.
- We have been teaching outdoor skills and personal development since 1972, and we have an exceptional instructor team who are highly qualified, caring and committed
- Hillary Outdoors is a New Zealand leader in outdoor risk management; safety is paramount and all risks clients are exposed to while at Hillary Outdoors are consistently and carefully analysed and managed
- Two centres to choose from offering the best choice of marine and/ or land based learning environments
- Tailor-made programmes defined in consultation with the Hillary Outdoors Team that can include specific adventures providing context to focus areas, key competencies, learning outcomes, and more…
- As a registered educational establishment, Hillary Outdoors can also help deliver Unit Standards and Achievement Standards to Year 11 – 13 students during their time with us
- This is a proven and impactful programme – in just 5 days students grow, develop, and learn new things about themselves, with numerous schools telling us of the positive change in their students on return to the classroom.
You will find all required and optional gear to bring on your programme in our Student and Accompanying Adult Booklets: Tongariro Student Booklet, Great Barrier Island Student Booklet, Tongariro Accompanying Adult Booklet, Great Barrier Island Accompanying Adult Booklet.
Missing some gear? You can shop our Gear Lists at Torpedo7. Every purchase made via this link means proceeds from your purchase will go to Hillary Outdoors and support getting more youth into the outdoors.
Since 1972, Hillary Outdoors has worked on the philosophy that all youth, regardless of their finances or ability, should have equal opportunity to enhance their lives through outdoor education.
The Hillary Step Scholarship (HSS) programme helps make that happen for rangatahi and subsequently whānau and hapori by awarding Scholarships to help cover the cost of Hillary Outdoors programmes.
Thanks to our incredible community of Funders, we have overcome financial inequities and empowered thousands of rangatahi from across Aotearoa to have life changing experiences through outdoor and adventure education.
For more information about the Hillary Step Scholarship programme and other funding opportunities, check out our Funding Information Pack for schools, groups, organisations and individuals.
Note: You must have a confirmed booking with Hillary Outdoors to be eligible for a HSS.